General Forum Rules
1. No Spam / Advertising / Self-promoting in the forums
These forums define spam as unsolicited advertisement for goods, services and/or other web sites, or posts with little, or completely unrelated content.
Do not spam the forums with links to your site or product, or try to self-promote your website, business or forums etc. Spamming also includes sending private messages to a large number of different users.
DO NOT ASK for email addresses or phone numbers. Your account will be banned permanently and your posts will be deleted.
2. Do not post copyright-infringing material
Providing or asking for information on how to illegally obtain copyrighted materials is forbidden.
3. Do not post "offensive" posts, links or images
Any material which constitutes defamation, harassment, or abuse is strictly prohibited. Material that is sexually or otherwise obscene, racist, or otherwise overly discriminatory is not permitted on these forums. This includes user pictures. Use common sense while posting. This is a web site for DIY'ers and trades professionals.
4. Do not cross post questions
Please refrain from posting the same question in several categories on this forums. There is normally one forum which is most suitable in which to post your question.
5. Do not PM users asking for help
Do not send private messages to any users asking for help. If you need help, make a new thread in the appropriate forum then the whole community can help and benefit.
6. Remain respectful of other members at all times
All posts should be professional and courteous. You have every right to disagree with your fellow community members and explain your perspective.
However, you are not free to attack, degrade, insult, or otherwise belittle them or the quality of this community. It does not matter what title or power you hold in these forums, you are expected to obey this rule.
General Forum Questions
Am I allowed more than one account?
No, there is no reason why you should have more than one account at DirtyDIY forums. If you are banned from the forums, please do not create a new account. If you continue to create new accounts after you have been banned, your IP address will be blocked from the forums.
What happens if I break a rule?
If you break a rule, then you will either be warned or banned. A ban of your user account may either be temporary or permanent.
The administrators and moderators also have the right to edit, delete, move or close any thread or post as they see necessary, without prior warning.
What happens if I see a thread/post which has broken a rule?
Please report the thread/post to the moderators or admin by using our contact form.
Detailed Forum Rules
These rules are disclosed to clarify the various responsibilities of all community members here on dirtydiy.guru. They have been compiled and are revised regularly by the DirtyDIY Team and should be adhered to by everyone.
- Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting. Users consistently posting to the wrong forum may be given a warning (see policing below).
- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning.
- Members are asked to not act as “back seat moderators”. If members note an issue which contravenes something in this policy document they are welcome to bring it to the attention of a member of the DirtyDIY Team. Please use the contact form to report posts. Do not respond to such topics yourself. Members who constantly “act” as moderators may be warned.
- Members should remember this board is aimed at a general audience. Posting pornographic or generally offensive text, images, links, etc. will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or an immediate ban depending on severity.
- Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to or asking for information on warez, crackz, etc. or re-printing material without permission will receive a warning and their post will be removed.
- Members are asked only to post in English, as this is an English speaking community.
- Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts. Users consistently abusing this will be warned.
- Members should use an appropriate, descriptive subject when posting a new topic. Examples of bad subjects include; "Help me!", "I've got a problem!", "I messed up!", etc. Examples of good subjects include; "How to choose the right sandpaper", "Need help fitting a bannister", etc.
- Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes offering trade services (charged and free), installation services, solicitation etc. Recruiting members for your own projects is not permitted and is also considered spam. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed. See specific item on spam and 3rd party linking for more information.
- The moderating, support and other teams reserve the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post at any time. Please note that currently your very first post may be automatically placed in the moderation queue and will be approved/disapproved according to the present Rules. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. as noted in these points is up to Team Members and not users.
- The above forum rules where applicable also apply to private messaging. Abuse of the private messaging system may lead to warnings (as above) and/or the revocation of private messaging.
- Signatures may contain up to three lines of normal sized text OR a single image that is no more than 60px high, 468px wide, 200Kb in size and one line of small sized text. The font size of signatures should be normal or small only.
- Signatures containing an image of 30px in height may include one line of normal sized text or two lines of small sized text. Images 15px or below in height may contain up to three lines of normal sized text or four lines of small sized text.
- Content in signatures should be consistent with normal writing and abide by the general forum etiquette. You may not include hidden text or links or information that suggests you offer services endorsed by DirtyDIY.
- Remote signature images must have a consistently high availability to ensure page load times are not affected. Animated (e.g. animated GIF) images are not permitted.
- Users abusing these rules will be warned or have their signature privileges revoked.
- Avatars should be no larger than 120x120 pixels and should not exceed 200Kb in size.
- Avatars must not contain animation or include graphics which attempt to portray the ranks or avatars of DirtyDIY Team Members. Users are permitted to utilise an avatar from the dirtydiy.guru gallery or link externally to one of their own.
- Remote avatars must have a consistently high availability to ensure page load times are not affected.
- Avatars are subject to the same conditions as posts with respect to the general forum etiquette.
- Users abusing these rules will be warned or have their avatar privileges revoked.
- DirtyDIY operates a three strike policy. Users will be warned a maximum of three times for any and all offences in a three month period. If the need arises for a fourth warning a temporary ban will be put in place of between 1 to 7 days.
- Arguing with team members after having received a warning will lead to an immediate additional warning. Should this exceed three strikes a temporary ban will be put in place as above.
- Users who feel they have been unfairly warned are welcome to contact the relevant team leader, e.g. if warned by a Community Team member you should contact the Community Team leader. If they feel you were treated badly they will remove a warning.
- Any attempt to circumvent a temporary ban or other moderator action will lead to a permanent ban of your account(s). Circumvention includes re-registering or using an already registered account under a non-banned username. Other examples include changing IP addresses, using a new email account or other action that can be taken to evade moderator action to hide your identity as the owner of the sanctioned account.
- An exception to the three strike rule applies when users contact team members personally (via any method) and post insulting, indecent or vulgar material. Such users may be subject to an immediate permanent ban.
- Permanent bans are a last resort and thought is given before implementing them. While DirtyDIY may consider lifting permanent bans from time to time this is a rare occurrence.